Lawrence NJ Marijuana Possession Lawyer
Charged With Possession of Marijuana in Lawrence New Jersey
The municipality of Lawrence New Jersey is certainly one of the busiest in Mercer County when it comes to marijuana possession charges. There are any number of factors which result in so many individuals charged with possession of marijuana in Lawrence including the presence of Rider University, Quakerbridge Mall or its being the 4th most populated community in the county. The point is that your Lawrence NJ possession of 50 grams or less of marijuana charge is not unique although you are strongly advised to consult a skilled lawyer if you are facing this offense. As members of one of the largest criminal defense firms in the state, our attorneys have witnessed all too many who have taken a marijuana offense lightly only to get bitten with a record, loss of license and other negative consequences. Do not fall victim to a conviction in Lawrence Township Municipal Court or at the Mercer County Superior Court by contacting our Lawrenceville Office to discuss your case with an accomplished attorney before making a misstep. Lawyers on our staff are available 24/7 for free consultations by calling 609–683–8102.
Lawrence Township Marijuana Possession Offense
Whether you were arrested for possessing under 50 grams of marijuana or a fourth degree crime for having more than this amount, the New Jersey Law that applies is N.J.S.A. 2C:35-10. Under 2C:35-10a(3), it is a fourth degree crime, a felony, to possess over 50 grams of marijuana in Lawrence Township. It is a disorderly persons offense, the equivalent to a misdemeanor, if you are found guilty of possession of 50 grams or less in the municipality. The headings below outline some of the more important aspects of each variety of Lawrence Township marijuana possession offense.
- When Each Possession of Marijuana Charge Apply. As previously stated, 2C:35-10a(3) is triggered where an individual allegedly possesses over 50 grams. Conversely, a charge involving 50 grams or less of marijuana in Lawrence falls under 2C:35-10a(4).
- Jurisdiction To Decide Your Marijuana Possession Case. All charges involving more than 50 grams of marijuana must be sent to the Mercer County Superior Court in Trenton which has sole jurisdiction to decide a fourth degree crime. The jurisdiction of the Lawrence Municipal Court is limited to deciding a disorderly person offense such as possession of 50 grams or less of marijuana.
- Penalties If Convicted. A fourth degree crime for possession of over 50 grams of marijuana results in a fine of up to $25,000 and up to 18 months in prison. A disorderly persons offense if you possessed less than 50 grams carries a fine of up to $1,000 and up to 6 months in the county jail.
- License Suspension. A major consequence of any marijuana or other drug possession offense in Lawrence New Jersey is a mandatory driver’s license suspension suspension of 6 or 24 months.
- Diversion Programs. If you want to avoid prosecution for a Lawrence possession of marijuana offense, there are two programs that can potentially assist you but they are both limited to first time offenders. Conditional discharge applies where the violation you are facing is a disorderly persons offense and Pretrial Intervention applies where the charge is a fourth degree crime.
Lawrence NJ Marijuana Possession Defense Attorney
You would certainly be best served in enlisting representation from a Lawrence NJ marijuana possession defense attorney if you are facing a charge under either 2C:35-10a(3) or 2C:35-10a(4). The truth is that you face much more life impacting penalties and collateral consequences for possessing marijuana than you might have thought. A lawyer who is has handled countless charges of this nature in Lawrence Township is going to be able to help you avert these ramifications. Here at the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall, our former prosecutors and skilled criminal lawyers have been defending marijuana charges throughout Mercer County for over 100 years combined. For an immediate consultation with one of the attorneys on our staff, call 609–683–8102.
We serve clients throughout Mercer County, New Jersey — including Trenton, Hamilton, Princeton Borough, West Windsor, East Windsor, Lawrence Township, Robbinsville, Hightstown, Princeton Township, Ewing and Hopewell — and surrounding areas, including Hunterdon County and Burlington County.