Hopewell Borough Drug Paraphernalia Lawyer
Charged With Possession of Drug Paraphernalia in Hopewell Borough
While possession of drug paraphernalia is one of the more minor disorderly person offense under New Jersey law, it is still a criminal offense nonetheless that carries steep consequences if you are convicted. Anyone who is facing drug paraphernalia possession charges in Hopewell Borough, New Jersey needs to contact the experienced criminal defense attorneys at the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall. We have more than one hundred years of combined experience helping individuals overcome their drug paraphernalia possession charges and we can ensure that you receive fair treatment under the law. You are able to contact us anytime by calling (732) 286-6500. One of our drug paraphernalia defense lawyers can provide you with a free initial consultation.
What Are Common Examples of Drug Paraphernalia?
Practically anything that is used with drugs or is used to facilitate taking drugs can be considered drug paraphernalia, under N.J.S.A. 2c:36-2. Some of the more common examples of drug paraphernalia include:
- Pipes. Many drugs, such as marijuana, are taken into the body through inhalation, which is facilitated by the use of a pipe. Being found with any type of pipe (e.g., spoons, chillums, Gandalfs, bongs, bubblers, one-hitters, etc.) or any portion of a pipe (e.g., bowl, stem/mouthpiece, filter, screens, etc.) that can be used for taking drugs can be considered possession of drug paraphernalia.
- Grinders. A grinder is a tool commonly used in crushing up marijuana in preparation of smoking the marijuana. Grinders range in size and usually hold residual amounts of marijuana inside the grinding components, making it readily apparent what the grinder is used for (i.e., crushing up marijuana) when inspected by police.
- Syringes/Needles. Syringes with needles are used to inject many different types of drugs, including heroin, cocaine and methamphetamine. It is generally legal to have syringes and needles in your possession if you have a legitimate medical condition that requires the use of a hypodermic syringe and needles, but otherwise being found in possession of a syringe and needles suggest that the possession of these items is intended for drug use.
- Scales. Scales can be considered drug paraphernalia if other evidence in the surrounding area suggest that the scales are being used to measure out quantities of illegal drugs.
- Small Empty Bags/Vials. Small empty baggies and empty vials, in light of other evidence in the surrounding area, may suggest that the empty baggies and vials are intended for the transportation and distribution of illegal drugs.
Drug paraphernalia can also include any equipment that is used to grow marijuana, or that is used to manufacture any other controlled dangerous substance, such as the lab equipment required to produce methamphetamine.
The police in Hopewell Borough do not take kindly to finding drug paraphernalia in the possession of individuals that they are interacting with. Law enforcement as a general rule presume that any of the above-mentioned items are for the intended purpose of use with illegal drugs and will arrest you and take you to jail if they find you in possession of pipes, syringes, needles, grinders, etc.
If you are arrested and charged with drug paraphernalia possession, your case will go before the Hopewell Borough municipal court. It is always a good idea when you have to go to Municipal Court to have legal representation by your side. Paraphernalia possession convictions in New Jersey can leave you with a criminal record and facing jail time and a hefty $1,000 fine.
Need A Hopewell Borough Drug Paraphernalia Defense Lawyer?
If you have been caught by law enforcement with drug paraphernalia in your possession, such as rolling papers, a pipe, a syringe in Needles, and needles or piece of equipment or accessory commonly used for the purpose of taking illegal drugs, you need to speak to an experienced drug paraphernalia possession defense attorney as soon as possible. Lawyers at the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall can be reached by calling 609–683–8102. Our attorneys are available 24/7 to provide you with a free consultation regarding your charges.
We serve clients throughout Mercer County, New Jersey — including Trenton, Hamilton, Princeton Borough, West Windsor, East Windsor, Lawrence Township, Robbinsville, Hightstown, Princeton Township, Ewing and Hopewell — and surrounding areas, including Hunterdon County and Burlington County.